Sunday, January 15, 2006

Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

OK, so I'm not really watching Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.; I tried to watch Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D..

It's on right now, and I'd missed this 1998 made-for-TV movie when it first premiered, and its subsequent airings since.

A caught it just as it started today, and since it seemed fortuitous, thought I'd watch the whole deal for my "absorb-all-things-comic-book" shtick, and ... I can't do it.

Sweet mercy, who let this thing air?

Don't get me wrong; despite the multiple popular media jokes around David Hasselhoff, I'm incredibly impressed with his long-standing, solid, and ongoing career. Besides, he seems like a genuinely engaging person in various interviews and guest appearances, and takes his (arguably undeserved) lumps in stride and in good humor.

But this film blows. It takes a cool Marvel staple and makes it a cartoon (in a bad way), rips off a bunch of coventions, and parlays so many performance stereotypes (like "third-wheel-nervous-guy-who-comes-through-in-clutch-time") to no effect.

And to think the first Fantastic Four movie targeted for direct-to-video was so bad they didn't let it go live. Looking at this S.H.I.E.L.D. fiasco, I so want to watch and MST3K that film other.

Here's hoping the new S.H.I.E.L.D. film off of Marvel's recent licensing deals doesn't suck even half this much.

No comments: