Sunday, March 05, 2006

Night Watch ("Nochnoi Dozor")

I caught Night Watch right after I watched Ultraviolet, and am glad I did.

I'm sure Night Watch benefitted some from my just-previous disappointment with Ultraviolet, but the film stands solidly on its own.

Where Ultraviolet was what I expected Aeon Flux to be (a throw away popcorn flick, which Flux was not), Night Watch was what I had hoped Underworld: Evolution would be (smart, stylish, complex, hinting at a huge world that exists beyond the film without hitting the audience over the head with it). By the way, Underworld: Evolution was not this.

I read that one critic described Night Watch "as a popcorn movie with a vodka chaser" -- but this is really a disservice to the film. It's much deeper than that, more twisted and stylish, and a lot of fun.

No comments: